The fabrics we choose for sewing and wearing garments, household linen, and accessories are very important. Fabric directly affects the comfort and performance of any garment we make. How we care for our fabric also impacts the environment even more so than others, according to Verena Erin of My Green Closet. Verena discusses the different textiles available, all with different looks, pros, cons, and sustainable/ethical issues. Verena created this series on My Green Closet to discuss common fibres and fabrics, what the pros and cons are, and what different fibre options are available if you’re trying to make more environmentally responsible purchases.
- Part 1 – Pros & Cons of Common Textiles
- Part 2 – Animal Materials & Vegan Synthetics
- Part 3 – Recycled & Upcycled Materials
More about textiles at SWN:
- A Look Inside America’s Textile Mills and Factories
- Shweshwe Fabrics; The Denim or Tartan of South Africa
- How to Dye Fabric
- Fabric Options for Making Kids Pajamas by Linda A Levine + 5 Free Patterns
- Blog Post: Bamboo Fabric 101
- Topic: Bamboo Fleece
- Blog Post: Eco-Friendly Fabrics – Fashion School Experts Examine the Pros and Cons of the Top Green Fabrics
- Topic: Fabric: Tencel® Lyocell
- Blog Post: Organic Fabrics – What are They and Why Should We Use Them?
- Video: How Fabric is Made
- Blog Post: Hemp Fiber – Eco Friendly Fabric
- Topic: Dyeing with Indigo
- Blog Post: Labels Reuse with Hemp Cotton Quilt
- Blog Post: Pineapple, (Pina fibre) and Sewing
Try Craftsy Unlimited, watch everything free!